Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cleaning MAF?

My 99 A6 Avant 2.8 V6 gets sluggish occaionally and the shop tells me the MAF and sensor get dirty. Cleaning it and doing adaptation makes the car run great but I wonder if this is something i can do myself to avoid periodic shop costs.


Techcron and BG 44 are great for cleaning injectors but this is in the air flow sensor so any kind of gas treatment can't get to it. I belive it gets dirty because of exhaust gas recirculation, especially with short trips, low speed.





I've read about something called Seafoam, which you introduce into a vacuum hose. Will this work on my A6? What vacuum hose should I use?|||a mass airflow sensor (MAF) is a very sensitive electrical part. Exhaust gases do not effect it in any way. you can usually remove a MAF from the intake tube somewhere between the throttle body and the air filter. it will have a plug coming out of it and is usually the only thing in the intake tube with wires. be very gentile with it though and make sure to only pick it up from the connector. go to a parts store and buy CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner. it is very good and should help clean the MAF. it is sometime recommended to clean the MAF with every change of the air filter (also make sure to check your air filter to make sure it is clean). spray the MAF down and allow it to dry.|||Maybe your air filter is dirty... get a new one and see if that helps|||No!Dont use anything on the maf sensor besides maf sensor cleaner.You can find it at autoparts stores.You dont want any kind of residue left on the sensor,so use the proper cleaner.I personally think seafoam does more harm then good on a newer car,but hey to each his own.Oh and dont use seafoam on the maf sensor.

No comments:

Post a Comment