Wednesday, November 30, 2011

2001 ranger with a p0402 check engine code. Can anyone help?

I have a 2001 ranger with a 3.0 v6. It recently had new heads put on there from where it overheated to the point of almost destroying the engine due to firestone putting the thermostat in backwards.





I have a check engine light and the code for it is p0402 which runs as "excessive exhaust recirculation." This could be a faulty EGR sensor, stuck EGR valve or bad PCV. I recently had the catalytic converters hulled (yes, I am aware of the implications, no need to tell me) and the reservoir in the exhaust cleaned. The engine runs rough and runs slightly worse when I shift it into gear. When I shift it into gear (its an automatic, to be specific), it lurches slightly. Not much, but enough to notice if you are paying attention. It also squeals/whistles when I slow down. I don't have to hit the breaks and its not when I use them but when I am at about ~10 miles/hr and a low rpm, it does it. It goes away almost every time as soon as I tough the gas. Seems like it's letting out pressure and stops doing so when I press the gas but resumes when I stop until it is done.





My girlfriend, who loves my truck and would to have it fixed to its original condition, likened the sound it makes to rudolph's nose on the Christmas special that has been running every year on TV.





Can anyone please tell me what to do. Is it the EGR sensor/valve or the PCV? Could it be something else entirely? Please help! Thank you in advance!|||When you said you had the catalytic converters "hulled", did you by passed or removed? Bear in mind that you have two pre-cat O2 sensors and one post-cat O2 sensor. If the catalytic converter is missing, bypassed or expired altogther, none or poor O2 signal will reach the modlue resulting in engine performance. Also check your Idle Control Solenoid (ICS)|||According to the "Automotive Computer Codes" Techbook by Haynes a P0402 code is a: "Exhaust Gas Recirculation circuit, range or performance problem". This is normally known as the EGR valve.


Assuming that the EGR valve is the culprit of your problem -The EVP sensor (EGR valve position sensor) could also be the problem. Replacing the EGR valve should take care of that.





If you live by and Auto Zone you can also go by there and have them check it out with a computer that diagnosis the codes on your vehicle.|||The rudolph noise (lol) is probably a vacuum leak.





Knowing fords, the P0402 is probably a faulty DPFE sensor or broken hoses, very common





But my question is, why don't you have the shop that replaced the heads fix it for free??? They obviously screwed up if you have a vacuum leak and rough idle. Not sayin they caused the EGR code too, but I guess its possible

No comments:

Post a Comment